Thursday, October 1, 2009

Targeting Target

Thanks to the trustworthy Google, I am able to research anything I want to and learn new things every week. 

I learned today that even though I am not a big fan of Wal-Mart, it might just be the place where I get my items, or at least for the next couple of months. 

Target is being penalized and has now agreed to pay a $600,000 civil penalty.  Talk about a large number!  They should be able to afford it right? 

The corporation has been importing and selling toys with a large amount of lead paint.  If a younger child gets a hold of this lead paint, it can be toxic.  Some of the toys that Target has been selling contains more lead paint than what they had back in 1978 when there was a lead paint ban

According to the Consumer Product Safety Commission, Target knowingly sold and imported the toys.  All of the toys were made in China between May 2006 and August 2007.  The article said that "Target recalled more than 500,000 Kool Toyz play sets, Anima Bamboo Collection games, and Happy Giddy gardening tools and Sunny Patch chairs for lead paint violations between November 2006 and September 2007."

The company didn't even take the time to go through the procedures and make sure that the toys didn't contain this lead paint. 

In 2007, Target has recalled about 190,000 toys with the lead paint and is now being penalized for something they knew they did wrong. 

3 comments:

  1. wow! Thank you for writing about this! I didn't know about any of this and I bought quite a few toys from Target between those dates. I'll have to check out what was recalled and make sure I don't have any of that stuff.

    What a bummer. Target is my favorite store--I like it WAY better than WalMart. But I guess no one is perfect. WalMart draws all kinds of controversy for their business practices, and now Target will have some heat too, it looks like.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good blog, Alicia. I don't understand how companies and stores can still manufacture and sell items that can be harmful to people, especially children. With all the technology we have available to us, stories like this should not be happening. At least they made the effort to recall them, but that still does not make up for their original indiscretion. I usually do more of my shopping at Wal-Mart anyway, and after reading this, Target doesn't sound very appealing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have not heard anything about Target in the news lately. It’s funny to me that Target now looks like the bad guys compared to Wal-Mart. In my marketing class, Target and Wal-Mart were compared in the text and Wal-Mart was known as the controversial store. It’s funny how quickly things, or perhaps rather opinions, can change. That is a very large and worrisome number of toys that were recalled. It just makes you wonder how many other businesses out there that we support are doing illegal things like this and getting away with it.

    ReplyDelete